Whoever said Gujiya can be relished only at the time of Holi hasn’t tried the Sugar Free Gujiya recipe. Here’s a healthy makeover for this traditional festive offering. Read complete recipe below.
- Serves : 10
- Cook time : Less than 15 mins
- Preparation : Less than 15 mins
- For the filling
- 500 gms of Khoya/mawa
- 6 tablespoons of Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar
- 3 ¼ tsps of desiccated coconut
- 15 Cashew nuts (blanched and chopped)
- 15 Almonds (blanched and chopped)
- 20 Raisins
- ½ Green cardamom or nutmeg powder
- For the outer covering
- 4 cups of refined flour (maida)
- ½ Salt
- 5 tbsps Ghee
- Don’t compromise on the sweetness of Gujiya by not adding Sugar. Use Sugar Free Natura instead.
- Mash khoya and roast it in a deep pan on medium heat till pink. Take off the heat and let it cool.
- Add all the other filling ingredients along with Sugar Free Natura to the khoya and keep aside.
- To prepare the covering, sieve flour and salt and rub in five tablespoons of ghee. Add enough water and knead into a firm dough. Cover it with a moist cloth and keep aside for fifteen minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll each ball into a small puri of four inches diameter.
- Spread a puri on a greased gujiya mould and fill a tablespoon of the filling mixture on one side.
- Moisten the edges of the puri and fold one side of the mould over the other. Press the edges and remove the excess dough and reuse.
- Prepare all the gujiyas and spread on a damp cloth.
- Heat sufficient ghee in a deep pan and deep-fry the gujiyas, in batches on medium heat, till golden brown.
- Drain onto an absorbent paper. Cool and store in an airtight tin.