- 1 cup split skinless green gram (dhuli moong dal), soaked
- A generous pinch of saffron
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup ghee
- ¾ cup khoya/mawa, crumbled
- ⅓ cup Sugar Free Natura
- 10-12 almonds, sliced
- Add one tablespoon of besan to melted ghee before putting the ground moong dal. It helps in even cooking of ground moong dal and also prevents formation of lumps during cooking.
- Drain and grind the moong dal coarsely using very little water.
- Soak the saffron in half cup hot milk.
- Heat the ghee in a thick-bottomed non-stick pan; add the ground moong dal and sauté, stirring continuously, over low heat till the dal turns golden brown. This needs time and patience. Do not rush through this step.
- Add one and a half cups of water and saffron milk. Stir till they are thoroughly incorporated and the mixture is of dropping consistency. Add the mawa and cook till it melts and mixes well moong dal mixture.
- Add Sugar Free Natura and mix till it blends well with the mixture.
- Serve hot garnished with almonds.