Sugar Free Rabdi Recipe For The Calorie Conscious
Indian sweets are truly irresistible. No celebration in India is complete without a sweet dish. If you are a big fan of milk based desserts then you would definitely be in love with Rabri or Rabdi. A North-Indian dessert, Rabdi is made with milk and is full of flavours. Here’s a simple sugar free Rabdi recipe that can made at home. Enjoy this guilt-free treat and keep checking this space for more such low calorie dessert recipes.
- Serves : 4
- Cook time : 40 mins
- Preparation : 5 mins
- 1 ½ litre full fat milk
- 7-8 Teaspoons of Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar (Each teaspoon of Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar is equivalent in sweetness to 1 teaspoon of regular, refined sugar)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 10 strands saffron
- 1 tsp rose water
- 10 almonds
- 15-20 pistachios
- You can bring milk to a boil on a medium high flame. But once it turns hot, ensure the milk boils at low flame until the last step.
- If you do not want layers in your Rabdi, then skip sticking the cream to the sides of the pot.
- Use a heavy bottom pot and avoid cast iron pots as milk will scorch very fast.
- Grease or rinse a heavy bottom pot and pour milk to it.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce the flame to low. Let the milk simmer until it reduces to approximately half of the original quantity.
- While the milk simmers, bring 1 cup water to boil in a small pot. Add almonds and pistachios.
- Turn off the heat and rest the nuts until the skin loosens (for about 10-15 minutes). Drain the water and peel the skin. Chop them finely and keep aside.
- Transfer 2-3 tbsp of hot milk from the pot to a small bowl. Add saffron strands and leave them to soak.
- Stir once to prevent the milk from getting scorched at the bottom.
- Continue to simmer the milk, slide the layer of cream to the sides of the pot every time it forms and repeat sticking it up to the side. Stir once again. This process of sliding and sticking to the sides should happen every time a layer of cream forms until the milk reduces to half the original quantity.
- Do not forget to stir at the bottom every time you slide the cream.
- When the milk reduces to half, add Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar (Sugar Free Natura is made from Sucralose, so it adds the same sweetness as sugar (but none of the calories from sugar). Now scrape off the layers of cream from the sides of the pot. If the milk cream has dried up, pour some hot milk (from the pot) over the sides. Add it back to the milk.
- Simmer until the quantity reduces to 2 cups. Add nuts, saffron milk, cardamom powder and rose water. Turn off the heat.
- Chill Rabdi and garnish with nuts just before serving.