Chana and Moong Payasam
The aroma of Payasam is enough to put anybody into a festive spirit. Ever thought this festive dish could have such a healthy and equally delicious variation? Read below to find out!
- Serves : 3
- Cook time : 30 - 60 mins
- Preparation : Less than 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons split Bengal gram (chana dal), soaked
- 2 tablespoons split skinless green gram (dhuli moong dal), soaked
- 4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons ghee
- 15-20 cashew nuts
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup scraped coconut
- 2 tablespoons Sugar Free Natura
- You can also add Sugar Free Natura Sweet drops to the Payasam to ensure that it’s healthy and delicious.
- Heat two tablespoons ghee in a deep non-stick pan. Heat two tablespoons in another non-stick pan.
- Add chana dal and moong dal to the deep pan and sauté. Add the cashew nuts to the other pan and sauté over low heat.
- Add one and a half cups water and milk to the dals, cover and let them cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally. You can also cook them in a pressure cooker.
- When the cashew nuts are golden, drain and transfer them into a bowl. Sauté coconut in the ghee till it’s lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add the Sugar Free Natura to the cooked dals and mix. Add coconut and mix well. Add cashew nuts, keeping some for garnishing.
- Add two teaspoons ghee and cook for three to four minutes.
- Serve garnished with the reserved cashew nuts at room temperature.